Message on sign:
January 31, 2011
Other signs on the Quad:
- written in chalk on the sidewalk between Red Square and the Quad: "Did you know? The largest book in the world is in Suzzalo library. Become a UW tour guide"
There are cases when people are being deceived, and they are aware or should be aware that deception is taking place. For different reasons many choose to live a lie:
- the lie is more comfortable or convenient
- it is difficult to admit to yourself reality is not what you'd like it to be
- it is difficult to make people who are lying to themselves aware they are doing so.
- one girl told me her friends advised her not to come up to talk to me because they said I might hurt her
- a reporter from The Daily requested an interview. I refused, explaining that I was indignant at the way The Daily covered the efforts of a man to engage students in dialogue in an article in 1996.
For a complete transcript of discussions with people about this sign (or at least as complete as memory would allow), see here, January 31.